Sponsored by:
Go to VintageWestclox website
and
Go to ClockHistory website
NOTE - Vintagewestclox.com and/or Clockhistory.com are NOT responsible for ANY post or it's content

Westclox Information
Questions and Answers about Collecting, History, Repair and Identification of Westclox Timepieces

This Forum is NOT affiliated with Westclox or any clock company!

Please use the SEARCH function BEFORE posting a new question!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Searching for a Westclox alarm clock similiar to the PIXIE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Westclox Information Forum Index -> Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spieler0815

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Searching for a Westclox alarm clock similiar to the PIXIE Reply with quote

Hi all,

in my childhood, my mother gave as a gift to me the wonderfull Westclox
PIXIE alarm clock ... please see link (Yes I do now, this is not the version from the 50 years)

She said, that in the shop there was another Westclox alarm clock, very very similar to the PIXIE clock, but she had not enough money to buy both.

So I did all to find out more about this second clock, but had no success.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance, best regards,

Kai, Germany
Bell Bird

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Searching for a Westclox alarm clock similiar to the PIXIE Reply with quote

Was the shop in Germany? Iím curious b/c Iíd have thought most European countries would have been sourcing Westclox models from Scotland at that time (i.e. ~1960). However thatís not likely if your Mum saw two animated Westclox in the shop owing to the fact that Scotland was producing only one animated alarm (the Pixie) 50 years ago. I think Canada was producing both the Pixie and Woody Woodpecker models in 1960 so itís possible it may have been the latter model she saw. She may also have been mistaken Ė perhaps the other clock was from a different manufacturer?

Incidentally, the pictured Pixie is a version manufactured in Hong Kong by Eastern Time Limited during (I think) the late 60ís and 70ís. ETL was a joint venture initiated by General Time (owner of Westclox) in the mid 60ís.
Spieler0815

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer and sorry for delay.

My mother bought this Pixie, shown here, in a store in Germany, I guess in 1971, but
unfortunately this Hongkong Version and not the original version.

But she stated, that there was another watch, very very similar to the
Pixie, only with another pictures. But it was NOT the well known woodpeaker ...

Perhaps, the company "Eastern Time Limited" has build another similar alarm clock?
Any idea to find out?
Thanks in advance,

Kai
Bell Bird

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you mentioned "from the 50 years", I thought you were talking about 50 years ago - i.e. early 1960's. But if it's 1971, that opens things up somewhat.

During the late 60's and early 70's, there were several factories around the world producing Westclox character alarm clocks; Scotland, Hong Kong, Brazil and possibly Mexico. My guess is that German stores were carrying either Scottish or Hong Kong made clocks. However if you say that the pictured Pixie is not the version you have, your clock is probably not HK made. So that leaves the Scottish produced ones; it may have been one of the following.

●'Performing Seals' clock (predominantly orange, red and blue) - rotating ball on seal's nose
●'Satellite' clock (black and blue) - rotating asteroid being pulverized by a laser
●'Football' (Soccer) clock - two opposing players trying to win possession of a rotating soccer ball
●'Cinderella' clock (red and blue) - a rocking glass slipper, left behind on stairs as Cinderella leaves the Ball. It probabbly wasn't this one :wink:

There may be others that I'm not aware of.

Like the Pixie, the animated part of the clocks dials moved in time with the ticking
Spieler0815

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your posting, your knowledge about Westclox is amazing.

May be, I made a mistake, I do know , my English isnīt fine at all:

The "Westclox" Alarm clock my mother bought in 1971 was made in HONGKONG - I just checked the backside of my alarm clock and found this out.

So, perhaps you also have some ideas about "Westclox" alarm clocks with moving parts produced in Hongkong?

I would be so happy , if I could see only a picture of the alarm clock.

My mother said, that both pictures were similar and it was difficult for her to decide, which one she wants to buy.

Any ideas about the Hongkong "Westclox" alarm clocks?

Thanks in advance,

Kai

PS. I just have found pictures of the Cinderella and also of a Snowhite alarm clock from "Westclox" - my mother said, that she saw another clock

It was not this clock:

(Cinderella)

And also it was not this clock:

Snow white with moving bird
jimgtg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second clock was made by Bayard, not Westclox.
Bell Bird

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Bayard was a French brand; they made quite a few alarm clocks with character dials. As I said in my earlier post, itís possible the other clock your mother saw was a different brand Ė if that was the case the possibilities are endless.

ETL (Hong Kong) produced several character alarm clocks under the Westclox name. These included Woody's Cafe (Woody Woodpecker; a big seller here in Australia), the Pixie (pictured) and a couple of nursery clocks. The nursery clocks had no moving parts. One featured a mouse and elf and the other (if memory serves correct), some frolicking lambs. There may have been others - I donít recall. I donít know if any of these were sold in Europe.

ETL also sold some character and novelty alarm clocks under the Equity label. They are frequently encounted on ebay, often incorrectly sold as 50's clocks but I'm pretty sure they were produced much later during the late 60's thru 70's and possibly early 80's. These clocks looked very similar to the Westclox produced clocks and they also featured identical #66 movements. Whether they are considered as true ĎWestcloxí, I donít know. There were several Snoopy character clocks (all I believe successfully marketed throughout North America); these usually had minute and hour hands forming Snoopyís front legs. The seconds 'hand' was often fashioned into an animated object such as a ball or butterfly.

I hope this info is of some use but I suspect I'll have just confused you more :oops:
Two new sections featuring authentic Westclox character clocks/pocket watches have been created here and here - in time you might find yours :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Westclox Information Forum Index -> Identification All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: