Sponsored by:
Go to VintageWestclox website
and
Go to ClockHistory website
NOTE - Vintagewestclox.com and/or Clockhistory.com are NOT responsible for ANY post or it's content

Westclox Information
Questions and Answers about Collecting, History, Repair and Identification of Westclox Timepieces

This Forum is NOT affiliated with Westclox or any clock company!

Please use the SEARCH function BEFORE posting a new question!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Baby Ben wound too tight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Baby Ben wound too tight Reply with quote

I have a Baby Ben alarm clock (1902 patent) that is wound so tight it won't operate. Is there any easy way to release the spring?

Thanks
tzmandevil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wound too tight is not a problem; it is a symptom of something else. Simply put the clock has some issue that causes it not to run so that the spring will not let down. The clock is either damaged or dirty.

Taz
plowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Thanks, tzmandevil Reply with quote

Thanks! I don't deal with clocks so i have no idea what to do to remedy the situation. Is it wise to open the clock and take a look?
tzmandevil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not taken apart a clock before, I would leave it to someone that has. Some tools are needed just to perform some simple tasks such as letting the mainspring down. Most who venture into a clock for the first time will most likely make a mistake and damage the movement or even worst mess up the hands and/or dial. For all collectors the dial seems to be the #1 item they look at.

Not trying to be negative, but unless you know what you are doing it is best to just leave it to someone that has the knowledge to work on the clock.

Taz
henrymckenzie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like post very much which contain informative knowledge regarding the process.If you have not taken apart a clock before, I would leave it to someone that has. Some tools are needed just to perform some simple tasks such as letting the mainspring down. Most who venture into a clock for the first time will most likely make a mistake and damage the movement or even worst mess up the hands and/or dial. There are different types of dials present with their distinct features.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Westclox Information Forum Index -> Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: